Sunday, September 03, 2006

Terezin

DSCN5275.JPG
I had heard a lot about Terezin when I took a tour of the Jewish Quarter in Prague. Supposedly, it was the Nazis' PR camp, and it had better conditions than the other camps. There were arts and theater programs, and perhaps a little more food.
DSCN5273.JPG
But when I walked through these gates and saw the place, the cells, the crematorium, the execution sites, I found it to be very depressing. If this was among the best they could offer, I could not imagine what it would be like when I visited one of the more horrifying camps, which I planned to do before I left Europe.

DSCN5278.JPG
The lie posted in every camp: "Work makes you free."

DSCN5312.JPG

DSCN5280.JPG

DSCN5302.JPG
THE TRUTH... The site of mass graves.
DSCN5301.JPG
Site of the firing squad.
DSCN5297.JPG

DSCN5323.JPG

DSCN5324.JPG

DSCN5290.JPG
NO PHOTOS PLEASE. I believe I can say with authority that Jirka felt pretty depressed here too.

DSCN5272.JPG
Bodies recovered form the mass gravesite were reburied here with a little more dignity.
DSCN5268.JPG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home