Sunday, June 18, 2006

Lany

DSCN4277.JPG
Lany

On our way to Karlstejn, the Harajdas and I stopped in Lany to see the grave of Masaryk, the first president of Czechoslovakia.
DSCN4269.JPG
Graves of the Masaryk family.

I wasn't thrilled about looking at a gravesite, but afterward, we went to the President's Weekend/vacation home (like our Camp David, I believe), which was also in Lany, and had a brief look around. The grounds were quite impressive. There was a large park--very large--and greenhouses, and the general atmosphere was very tranquil. It was really beautiful.

DSCN4272.JPG
We even managed to see the end of the changing of the guards at the gate to the residence. I swear, they must pick only the most handsome soldiers for this duty because every single one of them was VERY good-looking, not to mention polite. The guard on duty even smiled at me! I didn't think they were allowed to do that.

DSCN4283.JPG
Mrs. Harajdova and I had a little rest outside of the greenhouses. The Presidential residence is in the background.


DSCN4289.JPG
Guard--serious, but friendly and helpful too. Look at the land in the background.

DSCN4274.JPG
We saw many of the robes (gifts) that the President was given during some of his diplomatic travels. They were in glass cases, and the light in that room made them difficult to photograph, but here is one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home