Monday, January 30, 2006

The Alps!

DSCN1563.JPG
Ready to go. My first time in the Alps. I don't really know what to expect. The main images in my head come from Frankenstein, The Sound of Music, and the one time I flew over them on my way to Rome. But, coming from Los Angeles, I know that movies are not real life. Anyway, my curiosity is piqued.


I had this opportunity to go skiing in Italy for five days, thanks to my exchange partner. So, after getting clearance from my school, off I went! I was excited to go, but also experienceing some trepidation. I hadn't skied in I don't know how many years. 12? 15? I don't know. I was also concerned because my exchange partner had shown me webcam photos of Passo Tonale, and he was practically kissing the computer screen he loved it so much. I wasn't so impressed by the pictures, and I wondered how I would tell him if I didn't find the place as appealing as he. No worries! The place was incredibly beautiful; I was instantly awestruck. Those photos didn't do the place justice, and probably neither will mine, but here they are.

DSCN1576.JPG
I am there. OK, I am starting with me. I am very happy to see (and like) the place finally.

DSCN1569.JPG
Vermiglio. This is the actual town we stayed in. It was a trip for about 40 Czech students who are studying to become teachers and their current teachers. A house was rented here to accommodate the big group, and a few of us stayed in a nearby apartment. This is the view from the apartment balcony.

DSCN1698.JPG
Goofing around. After skiing during the day, we all would come back to the house for dinner and mulling about (drinking, cards, chatting, etc.).

DSCN1687.JPG
Honza (Even secret agents take vacations!)

DSCN1683.JPG
Ondra (NEVER on vacation from his cell phone!)

DSCN1649.JPG

DSCN1651.JPG
Mr. Harajda comes along on these trips to help with the food service. It takes a professional to feed so many people at once.

DSCN1579.JPG
Passo Tonale. The town itself! Very cute--oh, I believe the word is quaint. =) It must be quite an experience to stay here and go right from one's door to the ski slopes and vice versa.

DSCN1580.JPG
The bus that brought the students from Pilsen and from the house to the slopes every day.

DSCN1581.JPG
BEAUTIFUL! GORGEOUS! WISH YOU WERE HERE!
DSCN1592.JPG


DSCN1586.JPG
Going up!

DSCN1668.JPG
I don't like these kinds of lifts, so I refused to go up there.

DSCN1663.JPG
Ondra--a decent photo because he didn't see me in time to make a face!

DSCN1664.JPG
Fik--deep in thought, apparently. =)

DSCN1671.JPG
"Pub" PontiDi Legno-- a nice warm place to take a rest and have a groovy refreshment...

DSCN1673.JPG
Chocolate! So think it was like eating pudding! Yum-MY!

DSCN1659.JPG
Going up in Ponti di Legno

DSCN1667.JPG
Wow!

DSCN1705.JPG
SNOW!! For the last two days of the trip, it snowed practically non-stop. I came home with all my bones in tact, so I can say it was a successful trip.

1 Comments:

Blogger Britt said...

Seems beautiful!

If only I knew how to ski :)

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home