Sunday, October 23, 2005

My Birthday =)

So, last Tuesday was my birthday. I didn't have to work until almost 1 o'clock. That was nice. I had a quiet morning at home in which I read birthday emails from home, and I really missed my friends in LA. My mom sent me about five birthday cards (paper and electronic), and I finally had to call her and say it was enough. But it was nice...Grandmother and Annie also sent me very loving emails. I was glad to hear from them.

I went to work and the lessons were fine. Then the evening came...
DSCN1021.JPG

I knew that some of the teachers were taking me to a birthday dinner, but they really made it special for me. Beautiful flowers and a really lovely silver bracelet! (Alena knows how I like silver.) A surprise!! Really, I was only expecting dinner--and I was happy about that. So, I was really honored that they made such an effort. We had a private room in a pub I hadn't patronized before. Good food! Several teachers showed up--even some who didn't speak English!! We had a wonderful time. Lots of laughing...

DSCN1030.JPG
Me and Alena (a super lady)

DSCN1031.JPG
Me and Irena (Ms. Personality) with our beloved cell phones


Sitting around the table...
DSCN1032.JPG

DSCN1028.JPG
Dasa and Majda having a serious chat--not! =)

DSCN1033.JPG
Irena, Lenka, and me.

DSCN1037.JPG
Alena (Assistant Principal), Majda, Me, Halina, and Mila.

DSCN1040.JPG
The three M's--Majda, Mila, and Martin, a very friendly and funny guy. I just met him that night.

DSCN1027.JPG

By the end of the night, I was reminded of a little song...

Make new friends
But keep the old
One is silver
And the other is gold

I was very happy for the opportunity to have met these new friends, even though I had been missing people in LA. This is a part of the experience, and one of the reasons I love to travel. I will have a special feeling for Zatec forever. I am at home here too. The people are fantastic, and they have been extraordinarily good to me. I am grateful and happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home