Thursday, November 03, 2005

I Love London!!

DSCN1205.JPG

DSCN1204.JPG
The dragons mark the boundaries of the City of London. Not all of what we non-English think of as London belongs to The City proper. With the passage of time, London has grown into a large and fantastic place. A picture of London should be in the dictionary next to "city." Just walk around it, and you can feel it's energy. The buzz! I love Los Angeles, but it's not a city the way London is. LA's energy is spread far and wide; London's is compact, palpable. Part of it is that you don't have to be in a car here! You use public transportation and walk...and walk...and walk. Tiring, but well worth the effort! Now, I won't start using superlatives here--I haven't been to New York City--YET!--but I imagine it will be more similar to London than to LA. Wow!! I can't wait to see it!

DSCN1137.JPG
Beautiful view!


DSCN1160.JPG
We (Beth, Pamela, Gina, and I) stumbled upon this market street after meeting for lunch in Notting Hill. We were looking for a fortune teller--strictly for fun, folks--but we found other adventures instead...


DSCN1161.JPG
I don't think I had ever seen beets in their natural state before, so, of course, I had to photograph it. I like the picture. =)

DSCN1162.JPG
One of our biggest adventures! Lisa and Erin would be happy to know that restrooms can be found right on the street when needed. This one is completely automated. Drop in your coin, and the door slides open. You step in and feel a little bit as if you are about to be launched in a space ship, or maybe beamed up, (Scottie). When you are finished, you press a button to get out, and the stall cleans itself--completely. You can't even flush it for yourself. Amazing.

DSCN1201.JPG
Pamela, Gina, and me. Remember them from Prague? This is our second European capital city, but not our last. They are fun, fun, fun.

DSCN1202.JPG
Another lovely shot of London near the river (and the ubiquitous train), with the back of Beth (Pamela and Gina's mom) in the corner.

DSCN1140.JPG
Beautiful! Gorgeous! Wish you were here!

DSCN1136.JPG
Millennium Bridge, with St. Paul's in the background.

DSCN1120.JPG
Millennium Bridge again. I found it quite fascinating.

DSCN1119.JPG
No comment. Just liked it.

DSCN1089.JPG
Hyde park. Had a walk through with Brett (a friend from grad school at Cal State LA; lives here with his wife, Bunny--a Brit)one morning (no picture of Brett, unfortunately), after Turkish food in Notting Hill. Lovely and serene. You'd never know you were in the middle of a bustling CITY.

DSCN1092.JPG
Sidewalk plaque. Speaks for itself.

DSCN1095.JPG
Prince Albert Memorial. Built by Queen Victoria (OK, she didn't do the work, but she ordered it) as a memorial to her late husband. That's what I call love--the story of Victoria and Albert. She lived for a good 40 years after he died and never stopped loving him. That's incredible. Theirs is probably one of the greatest love stories ever! True love does happen in this world. Hmmm. =)

DSCN1113.JPG
London Eye. It has to be experienced once. It's just one of those things.

DSCN1153.JPG
Beth and I ON the London Eye. Can you tell that we are tired? We were knackered, as my British friends say.

DSCN1097.JPG
Crossing the street. I laughed at these more than once, but at the same time, I came to count on them to keep me from getting hit by a car as I walked and walked and walked through the London streets. You never know just where the cars will come from--especially if you are preoccupied with looking at all the splendid sights.

* * * *

Stay Tuned! More on London trip to come, but not tonight. Too tired.

1 Comments:

Blogger VojtÄ›ch Knyttl said...

Just saying hello from London! I've been enjoying myself as well, but leaving Tuesday. See you Thursday then! (hopefully)

3:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home